Loaded with goodness, these muffins are guaranteed to kick start your day! The batter can be mixed the night before if you like, and the muffins baked fresh in the morning. Add a bowl of fresh fruit, a little Greek yogurt, and hey, it's the beginning of a great morning!
Makes 24 muffins
- 2-1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 t. baking soda
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 banana, mashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups currants, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes and drained.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease with butter.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs together to break up the yolks
- Whisk in the mashed banana, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla.
- Stir in the currants.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring gently with a wooden spoon.
- Do not over mix or it will toughen the dough.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, filling each almost to the top.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
- The muffins will darken in color and the tops will have a hard crust.
- A toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Remove and place the pan on a wire rack.
- Let sit for a few minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan.
Don't miss a single post CLICK HERE to subscribe