Who knew bulgur wheat could taste so good? Full of surprises like pink peppercorns and dried currants, (trust me here), this is one incredibly tasty pilaf. I made it the other night to serve as a side dish, then proceeded to devour the leftovers for breakfast! I almost never do that. Another winning recipe from Plenty.
Simple to make, healthful, vegetarian, and vegan too.
Author: Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
- 6 T. olive oil
- 4 small white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 t. pink peppercorns, whole
- 2 T. coriander seeds
- 2/3 cup currants
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1-3/4 cups water
- salt and black pepper
- handful of snipped chives
- In a large pot, saute the onions and peppers in the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Saute until they soften, about 12 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, sugar, spices, and currants.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the bulgur, water, salt and pepper.
- Stir to mix, then bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and remove from heat.
- Let sit for 20 minutes, covered.
- Remove lid, fluff the bulgur with a fork, and adjust for seasonings.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Don't miss a single post CLICK HERE to subscribe