Winter salads differ from the ones we prepare in the summer. For one thing they are heartier, relying on root vegetables, grains, and sturdier greens like escarole, endive, or radicchio. But they are no less delicious or satisfying than their summer counterparts. In this lovely and colorful winter salad, farro, red quinoa, and toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) provide texture, while the roasted butternut squash and pomegranate seeds add color and a hint of sweetness. Throw in some baby arugula for a nice tang and you've got a wonderful salad to kick start your New Year!
Farro: Farro is a whole grain with a slightly chewy nutty flavor. It cooks up simply in boiling water and is never mushy. Although low in gluten, it is NOT gluten free as some may believe.
Red Quinoa: Quinoa is available in white, red, and black. The red variety has a slightly earthier flavor than the white or black but all varieties are high in protein, essential minerals, vitamins, are gluten free.
Pepitas: Pepitas are pumpkin seeds that are popular in Mexico. Typically they are toasted and eaten as a snack.
- 1 c. farro
- 1/2 c. red quinoa
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 fresh pomegranate, seeded
- 2 c. baby arugula
- 1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2/3 c. pepitas, toasted
- For Dressing, whisk together:
- 4 T. rice vinegar
- 1 t. dijon mustard
- 5 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Place on a sheet pan and roast for 40 minutes until slightly browned
- Set aside to cool.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add the farro and a pinch of salt.
- Continue boiling for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, add quinoa to 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes or until the water has evaporated and the quinoa is tender.
- Set aside to cool.
- Toast pepitas in a 350F oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Assemble salad:
- In a large salad bowl combine the farro and red quinoa.
- Add the squash and arugula.
- Toss with the dressing
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
- Crumble the feta cheese over the salad.
- Sprinkle with pepitas.
Don't miss a single post CLICK HERE to subscribe