On a hot summer day, Agua Fresca ("fresh water" in Spanish) is the ultimate thirst quencher. Light and refreshing, it is a healthy alternative to ice-tea or soda. Best of all, you don't need a fancy juicer to make it. A simple blender will do the trick. Served throughout Mexico, agua fresca is often made from melon, but a variety of fruits are also used. Watermelon happens to be a favorite of mine.
It's best to use seedless watermelon if you can find it. But if you can't, just strain the seeds. Or don't. They will sink to the bottom of the glass. Worse things can happen.
- 5 cups fresh, seedless watermelon, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 T. sugar or agave, or to taste (optional)
- Juice of 2 fresh limes or to taste
- Lime slices
- Puree all the ingredients in a blender
- Pour into ice filled glasses and garnish with lime slices
Optional add-ons: fresh mint or basil, sparkling water, champagne, or vodka
Don't miss a single post CLICK HERE to subscribe