What's tastier than a homemade cookie fresh from the oven, especially one chock full of goodness like oats, dried cherries, peanuts, coconut, and chocolate? When you need a cookie for those summer picnics, pot lucks, or camp outs, these trail mix cookies are for you!
adapted from Gourmet Magazine
Makes 25 cookies
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 T. warm water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 T. all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cups dried cherries
- In a mixer, cream the butter and shortening with the sugars
- Beat in egg
- Beat in baking soda mixture, flour, salt, and vanilla.
- Stir in the oats, coconut, chocolate, peanuts and cherries.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough about 4 inches apart onto greased baking sheets
- Flatten slightly with a fork
- Bake the cookies in the middle of a preheated 375F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to sit for a minute, then transfer with a metal spatula to racks.
Do not substitute all butter for the shortening as it will cause the cookies to spread and flatten during baking.
Don't miss a single post CLICK HERE to subscribe