Kale is among the so called "super foods", rich in antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients. A leafy green vegetable that looks like lettuce but is actually related to cabbage and brussels sprouts, it is an important addition to any healthy diet. But not everyone likes it's chewy texture, including me! There are a couple of ways to remedy this. First, remove the leaves from the stem and chop them. Then use lemon juice with a little salt as a marinade for at least 20 minutes and up to one day. The lemon juice works to tenderize the leaves. Toss with olive oil when you are ready to serve. Delicious!
- 1 bunch kale
- 4-6 beets
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- juice from 2 lemons
- kosher salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- Scrub beets but do not peel.
- Drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Wrap in parchment paper lined foil
- Roast in a preheated 400 F oven for 45 minutes or until fork tender
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Peel skins and slice
- Wash kale and remove leaves from stems
- Add to a non-reactive bowl
- Sprinkle with a little salt
- Toss with freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Set aside for at least 20 minutes or until kale breaks down
- When ready to serve, add beets
- Toss with olive oil
- Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese
Don't miss a single post CLICK HERE to subscribe