In New York's Soho district there's a cute little place called Once Upon a Tart that I frequent occasionally for a quick lunch or when I get a taste for their amazing little tarts. This lentil and quinoa salad with shredded carrots and a ginger curry vinaigrette is one of their offerings. It's quite delicious and completely healthy, a winning combination!
I happen to find these colorful carrots in the grocery store the other day and added them to the salad, along with the traditional variety.
- 6 cups cold unsalted water (for the lentils)
- 1-1/2 cups French green lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups cold unsalted water (for the quinoa)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
GINGER CURRY VINAIGRETTE:
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2T. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. Madras curry powder
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Place water and lentils in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until tender but not mushy.
- At the same time, cook the quinoa in another saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for 10-15 minutes until slightly translucent.
- Drain both the lentils and quinoa and add to a large salad bowl.
- Add the grated carrots
- Add the chopped cilantro
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to mix.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
- GINGER-CURRY VINAIGRETTE:
- Whisk all ingredients except the olive oil in a small bowl. Add the olive oil in a stream, whisking as you go until blended.
Don't miss a single post CLICK HERE to subscribe